Friday, September 12, 2008

weather doesn't cooperate - Fall Fair Cancelled

What a summer! You might suspect from my lack of summertime entries that it has been a busy time for me. I got behind when I was getting ready for the Spring Fair and I never got caught up. I only have time to update now because this was my prep time for tomorrow's cancelled fair.

It all started before the spring fair as I was trying to get pictures printed and framed for my maiden voyage onto the Sea of Summer Fair Vending. After many late nights, and a lot of miscellaneous expenses, I was ready. The day was threatening when we arrived before 7am. It was cold and windy. Some of the vendors had set up the night before and the billowing tents gave an indication of things to come.


Along with fellow vendors, we set up hoping for the best. (Pictured above) Shortly before the 9am opening a mist was added to the mix. Out came the plastic tarps to shield the pictures and frames. We had a water resistant canopy and makeshift side curtains. Our neighbor to our right was not so prepared. Her uncovered educational toys were fair game for the ever intensifying misty rain. She tried to protect the cardboard boxes but was simply unprepared and packed up within the first hour.

To our left, a lone vendor shivered in her unprotected spot covered only by her umbrella. (below) She eventually moved to the site vacated by the educational toys booth to get some protection from the overhanging tree and found a car blanket to wrap around her.

All across the grounds, similar events were taking place. The wind didn't slack off as we had hoped but the rain subsided and we were able to take off the plastic covering. The longer we sat the colder it got and we could see vendors starting to get restless. The same inclement weather that was bringing shivers to our bodies was keeping fair goers at home. Only the most hardy ventured out and most were quick to go in the Brinkerhoff Home to warm up and have some fresh coffee. We would see them scurry by clenching their spring wraps around them.



The weather turned from bad to worse. Winds were tossing tents like sagebrush on the open range. Expensive set-ups were sent toppling into the tents next door. Soon, it was evident the fight was not winnable. We packed up our limited supplies called it quits!

As we made a last walk through the grounds, an elderly couple caught my eye. I don't remember what they were selling but I had to think they were probably trying to supplement their limited Social Security income selling handmade goods. They were still holding on in hopes the weather would clear and at least pay the booth fee. It made me sad. I sold 3 pictures and almost got my fee back. I had to look at the rest of my costs as investment. The Fall Fair would surely be better.

I was out of town for the Ice Cream Social but it was also plagued by rain and was moved indoors.

Just about an hour ago, I got a call to tell me tomorrows fair was cancelled. I was somewhat relieved. I didn't want to experience another Spring Fair. So we have come from Fair to Fair and the summer is all but gone. Fortunately the next Brinkerhoff events will be inside out of the weather.

No comments: